Tuesday, July 29, 2008

reader's question: how do I interview for jobs while I'm working?

Q. I am avidly looking for work as I am in a job I absolutely despise and I wonder if you have any advice on how to arrange interviews. I do my best to set them up on my lunch hour, but sometimes that is just not possible. And one can only have so many doctor appointments.

A. Doctor's appointments are a great strategy, but you're right, it will only get you so far. And there aren't that many more options. When you're called in for an interview, ask if it's possible to set it up either first thing in the morning or at the end of the day. I was once able to negotiate to have an interview at 5:30 because I politely explained the situation – that I was currently working and would like to be discreet about the fact that I was looking for another job. If you work flex hours and don't start till 10:00, an 8:30 or 9:00 interview might be an option. Taking a vacation day works as well, though it's less likely to tip off alarm bells if you take a Friday or Monday as opposed to another weekday. Other than that, take heart in the fact that most people are pretty oblivious and aren't likely to suspect anything. If you continue to work hard and be cheerful at your current job, "she's looking for a new job" probably won't be the first thought to pop into your boss' head when you take time off or come in a little late.

No comments: